Accused Manchester shooter has suspended sentenceStaff Report
June 25. 2014 10:03PM
MANCHESTER — After Adrien Stillwell was arrested on a felony reckless conduct charge, accused of firing a gun on June 16 at a Cedar Street door and narrowly missing a 17-year-old who had peered outside, a 9th Circuit Court-District Division-Manchester judge revoked the bail of the accused gang member on a resisting arrest charge and ordered him held until his July 14 trial.
Stillwell, 19, who attended Manchester High School Central, now lists his address as Dorchester, Mass. He was out on $500 cash/surety bail on the June 10 resisting arrest charge, for allegedly walking away from a police officer investigating a fight at Beech and Green streets, when he allegedly fired a gun at the door of 382 Cedar St.
The reckless conduct charge alleges Stillwell fired several shots at a doorway at 382 Cedar St., after the 17-year-old resident and two companions had been followed home by a two Latinos and a black male, one of whom shouted at him and his companions: “Who wants to die? Who wants to die?”
Because he is a convicted felon, after pleading guilty in March to a charge of assaulting a prisoner while at the Hillsborough County Jail, Stillwell was also charged with a felony, being in possession of a dangerous weapon.
Stillwell could not enter a plea to the felonies in Circuit Court during his June 19 arraignment, so a probable cause hearing was set for July 3, when a judge will determine whether there is sufficient evidence to send the case to the Hillsborough County North grand jury for possible indictment.
After Stillwell’s arrest in connection with the shooting incident, police prosecutors filed a motion to have his bail on the earlier charge revoked, alleging he had violated bail terms barring commission of a new crime, and a hearing was held June 20.
At the bail revocation hearing, city prosecutor Jeremy Harmon said the Cedar Street shooting is one of 26 documented incidents involving violence between two rival gangs — Stillwell’s OTL (Orange to Laurel streets) and 180 — since last July 19.
Stillwell’s attorney argued the 17-year-old who claimed he saw Stillwell firing a gun at him, couldn’t have seen a muzzle flash and closed the door fast enough to avoid being hit. Defense attorney Donald Topham said, “The physics just don’t work.” Topham said a bullet travels too fast for Luis C. to have seen the flash and closed the door in time.
Police said the victim sustained some minor facial injuries from wood splinters after a bullet hit the door. Police found a .22 spent shell casing and a .22 live round at the scene.
The felony charges related to the Cedar Street shooting are the third set of felony charges that Stillwell, formerly of 190 Spruce St., has faced in the last year and a half.
The other incidents date back to a Jan. 3, 2013 incident, where Stillwell and two other teens were accused of breaking into a vacant Lake Avenue apartment, ordering food from Santoro’s Pizza, and, when the driver arrived, stealing the food and beating the driver.
While he was being held on those charges at the Valley Street Jail, in lieu of bail, Stillwell was accused of assaulting another prisoner, Tyler Murray, also 19, punching him in the face and pushing him to the floor on April 6, 2013.
Stillwell eventually entered a negotiated plea to one of the felony assault by a prisoner charges.
Since entering that felony assault plea March 27 and being given a suspended sentence, though, Stillwell has been arrested three times — the latest following the June 16 shooting on Cedar Street.