Campers stranded, roads damaged in Woodstock downpour
Moorehead said he hadn't seen Lost River or the Pemigewasset River running as high as they are since Hurricane Irene in 2011 or Hurricane Gloria in 1985.
As quickly as the Lost River rose, it has quickly receded, he said.
The Lost River campers are now able to walk out, but Moorhead said part of the road near the bridge leading in and out of the campground was washed away. Gravel needs to be brought in to repair it.
He urged people to stay out of both the Lost and Pemigewasset rivers for fear they will be swept away in water that continues to run high and fast.
Moorhead also said that about a three-mile stretch of Route 112 was damaged and portions were washed out. He said the eastbound lane has "some significant damage" but light traffic is being allowed through.
At 4 a.m., the weather service said the river was at 9.9 feet, above the 9-foot flood stage. It predicted the river would continue rising to 11.5 feet Thursday morning, but will fall below flood stage by late this afternoon.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Windy weather whips across New Hampshire - 0
- Leaks fixed, visits resume at Goffstown women's prison - 0
- Storm brings heavy rain, flooding to southern NH - 0
- UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison - 2
- Summit of Mount Washington white with rime ice, snow to follow soon - 0
- Storms in Meredith cause outages - 0
- USGS reports minor earthquake just outside of Concord - 0
- Quake strikes northeast of Tokyo, no reports of serious damage - 0
- Hollis storm damage caused by microburst, not tornado - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 0
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Tough task for NH budget writers
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated
Paul, Christie share lead in primary poll