Boy injured in overnight Manchester fire caused by unattended stove
District Chief Jim Michael of the Manchester Fire Department said that the cooking oil reached a boil and started a fire that had engulfed the first-floor kitchen when firefighters arrived just before midnight Saturday.
Firefighters escorted several people out of the three-story building at 418 Laurel St. and were able to quickly contain the fire, preventing additional damages to the upper floors, Michael said.
A 5 year old boy was taken to Elliot Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
The call came in at 11:58 p.m. Saturday and the fire was under control 15 minutes later. Damage was estimated around $15,000.