Deroy Murdock: Curbing illegal immigration is not our responsibility alone
These Latin governments should improve their own political economies, so that their people need not ride atop freight trains, ford the Rio Grande and then dodge Gila monsters to better their lives.
By comparison, El Salvador’s per capita GDP is $7,438, Guatemala is the world’s 83rd freest economy, and Honduras has Earth’s 140th cleanest government. These nations and Mexico need to get it together, rather than simply stick their kids atop box cars and send them north to surrender to the U.S. Border Patrol.
The left wants amnesty and voting rights for illegals. (Yup. New York lawmakers are weighing legislation to let illegals vote in local and state elections.)
From cutting tariffs to lowering taxes to clamping down on crooked politicians, there is plenty that these countries can and should do to export more than just their populations.
While Americans debate the wisdom of being the world’s policeman, we should agree that the USA has no obligation to become the world’s babysitter.
Deroy Murdock is a Manhattan-based Fox News contributor and a media fellow with the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace at Stanford University.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Newbies welcome on NH slopes - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 37
- Thomas Sowell: The legal system exists to prevent mob 'justice' - 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 22
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- New Hampshire police part of funeral for slain NYC officer - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Details of Reams inquiry released