Deroy Murdock: Curbing illegal immigration is not our responsibility alone
These Latin governments should improve their own political economies, so that their people need not ride atop freight trains, ford the Rio Grande and then dodge Gila monsters to better their lives.
By comparison, El Salvador’s per capita GDP is $7,438, Guatemala is the world’s 83rd freest economy, and Honduras has Earth’s 140th cleanest government. These nations and Mexico need to get it together, rather than simply stick their kids atop box cars and send them north to surrender to the U.S. Border Patrol.
The left wants amnesty and voting rights for illegals. (Yup. New York lawmakers are weighing legislation to let illegals vote in local and state elections.)
From cutting tariffs to lowering taxes to clamping down on crooked politicians, there is plenty that these countries can and should do to export more than just their populations.
While Americans debate the wisdom of being the world’s policeman, we should agree that the USA has no obligation to become the world’s babysitter.
Deroy Murdock is a Manhattan-based Fox News contributor and a media fellow with the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace at Stanford University.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Brandon Ross: A sure-fire way to eradicate NH's 'spice' problem - 0
- Another View: Jeanne Shaheen was M.I.A. on VA reform - 24
- Paul Holloway: NH's community colleges prepare for a new era - 2
- Betsy McCaughey: More ways Washington squanders your money - 5
- Pat Buchanan: Let Congress vote on Iraq War III - 1
- Who is minding those who mind the store at NH State House? - 4
- Jonah Goldberg: America's selective Libertarianism - 6
- Charles Krauthammer: Why Hillary got it right - 11
- George Will: President Obama in a stew over inversions - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 6
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist