All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Keene man shoots himself, dies in standoff with police

Union Leader Correspondent

July 02. 2014 7:40PM

KEENE — A man shot himself to death during a 4½-hour standoff with police Tuesday night on Ivy Drive.

Matthew Snow, 34, of Keene, was rushed to Cheshire Medical Center with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest. He died at the hospital, Keene police Sgt. Steven Steward said.

“He was alive when he left,” Stewart said Wednesday.

The standoff started around 6 p.m. after Keene police officers tried to arrest Snow on an electronic bench warrant on charges of receiving stolen property and a parole violation.

Instead of complying, Snow ran through a parking lot where he pulled out a handgun and held it against his own body, police said.

That began the standoff near an apartment complex on Ivy Drive. Nearby residences were evacuated, and the state police SWAT team was called to the scene. Other officers arrived from Swanzey, Marlborough and the Cheshire County Sheriff’s Office to assist.

Around 10:30 p.m., Snow shot himself once in the chest.

Two men were arrested in connection with the stand-off and shooting, one at the scene and the other at the hospital.

Around 10:09 p.m., James Cleaveland, 27, of Keene was arrested at the scene for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.Cleaveland is associated with the Free Keene group and has previously identified himself as the Robin Hood who leads activists in filling parking meters downtown to prevent the city from issuing parking tickets.

According to the Free Keene blog, Cleaveland was at the scene as a journalist and had already agreed to back away from the crime scene when he was arrested.

The other man was arrested around 11:30 p.m. at the hospital.

Paul Wood, 30, of Swanzey was charged with obstructing government administration and resisting arrest.

Stewart said Wood is related to Snow.

“He showed up at the hospital and was insisting on being in the emergency room and getting close to the deceased,” Stewart said.

The medical examiner had not arrived yet, and family members were not being allowed access to the body at that time, Stewart said.

Both men were released on personal recognizance and given a Sept. 2 arraignment date.

The investigation into the standoff and shooting is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Joel Chidester at 357-9813.

Crime Keene

More Headlines

Police: Naked intruder choked dog, attacked officers