Sep 18, 2014
Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Keene man shoots himself, dies in standoff with police
Matthew Snow, 34, of Keene, was rushed to Cheshire Medical Center with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest. He died at the hospital, Keene police Sgt. Steven Steward said.
The standoff started around 6 p.m. after Keene police officers tried to arrest Snow on an electronic bench warrant on charges of receiving stolen property and a parole violation.
That began the standoff near an apartment complex on Ivy Drive. Nearby residences were evacuated, and the state police SWAT team was called to the scene. Other officers arrived from Swanzey, Marlborough and the Cheshire County Sheriff’s Office to assist.
Two men were arrested in connection with the stand-off and shooting, one at the scene and the other at the hospital.
Around 10:09 p.m., James Cleaveland, 27, of Keene was arrested at the scene for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.Cleaveland is associated with the Free Keene group and has previously identified himself as the Robin Hood who leads activists in filling parking meters downtown to prevent the city from issuing parking tickets.
The other man was arrested around 11:30 p.m. at the hospital.
Stewart said Wood is related to Snow.
“He showed up at the hospital and was insisting on being in the emergency room and getting close to the deceased,” Stewart said.
Both men were released on personal recognizance and given a Sept. 2 arraignment date.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 28
- Dalton man sentenced for assaulting inmate - 0
- Hampstead man accused of sex assaults on girl - 0
- Police say man kills daughter, 6 grandchildren in Fla. murder-suicide - 3
- 2 men arrested in Manchester SWAT raid, drug bust - 5
- 2 women sentenced in Home Depot scam - 0
- Man accused of stabbing man in Concord's White Park - 0
- Friends, co-workers mourn loss of Amherst mother and son - 5
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it - 2
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 12
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917