All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Alleged Seacoast lotto ticket thief strikes plea deal

Union Leader Correspondent

July 02. 2014 7:28PM

BRENTWOOD — A man charged with stealing hundreds of dollars worth of lottery tickets from retailers in four Seacoast towns intends to plead guilty to felony theft charges, according to his lawyer.

Nathaniel Glavin, 35, of Saco, Maine, struck a plea deal with county prosecutors that will resolve theft charges pending against him for allegedly plundering gas stations and convenience stores in Newfields, Stratham, Newmarket and Portsmouth, court records say.

The thefts happened Dec. 24 and Dec. 27.

Glavin, who is being held at the Rockingham County jail, has agreed to plead guilty to two felony theft charges next week in Rockingham County Superior Court.

His sentence will be decided by a Rockingham County Superior Court judge.

Glavin could face up to 1 ½ to 3 years in state prison on the charges, along with a suspended state prison term that could be imposed if he violates the terms of his probation or parole, according to court papers filed by his lawyer.

Glavin allegedly hit three Seacoast-area stores last Dec. 24, and made off with an undisclosed amount of lottery tickets, prosecutors said. The stores are Stratham Village Market in Stratham, Great Bay Shell in Newfields and the Irving gas station in Newmarket. Portsmouth police began investigating a similar theft on Dec. 27 after someone took approximately $400 in lottery tickets from the Big Apple store on Lafayette Road in Portsmouth. Police said the thief redeemed some of his winning tickets at a local Market Basket. Prosecutors have not yet said how exactly Glavin distracted the store workers, but noted in the indictments that he has at least two prior theft convictions.

Police released store surveillance footage to the public from one of the thefts. That led a Market Basket store clerk to call Portsmouth police on Dec. 31. Two Portsmouth officers pulled over Glavin while he was driving near the supermarket. Glavin allegedly gave police officers a false name and he was later arrested for operating after suspension and disobeying a police officer.

Courts Crime


More Headlines