All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Fire chief: Cigarette blamed for causing Milford house fire

MILFORD — A fire caused extensive damage to a porch and front living room at 61 Highland Ave. on June 30, leaving the home uninhabitable.

The remainder of the house suffered heavy smoke and heat damage. It could take a few months before residents Madeline and Dennis Martin are able to return to their home, but according to Milford fire officials it can be rebuilt.

“The call came in around 4:11pm and was pretty quick knocked down in about two hours or so,” said Capt. Jason Smedick.

Madeline Martin was able to safely escape with her dogs. There were no injuries to the residents or firefighters.
The cause of the one-alarm fire was careless disposal of smoking materials, Smedick said.

The Martins have sons who live in the area and fire officials believe they are staying with them.

Post or View Comments 

NH Maple Weekend NH Maple Weekend
All Weekend

Sap Gathering Contest Sap Gathering Contest
Saturday, 10 a.m.

45th Annual NH Camping and RV Show 45th Annual NH Camping and RV Show
Friday, 1-8 p.m.,
Saturday, 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.,
Sunday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Ales for Tails Ales for Tails
Sunday, 1-5 p.m.

Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety

NH Angle