Nov 6, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
California man sentenced to 10 years for role in drug smuggling ring
Jon Hagstrom, 34, of North Hollywood, Calif., was sentenced Monday, June 30, in United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire to 10.5 years (126 months) in prison after pleading guilty to conspiracy to distribute more than 5 kilograms of cocaine and more than 1,000 kilograms of marijuana, conspiracy to commit money laundering and aiding and abetting the possession of more than 5 kilograms of cocaine with the intent to distribute, according to United States Attorney John P. Kacavas.
In court documents released this week, New Hampshire authorities state between the summer of 2007 and August of 2009, Hagstrom and 22 other members of a drug ring imported more than 1,000 kilograms of exotic and high grade marijuana into the U.S. for distribution in the New England area, including New Hampshire and New York.
The drug ring used the proceeds received from the distribution of the marijuana to purchase more than 150 kilos of cocaine from California, which was then exported to Canada.
Hagstrom was the source of the cocaine.
“The defendant worked with other co-conspirators to coordinate the transport of the cocaine from California to New Hampshire and elsewhere in New England,” said Kacavas in a statement. “On each occasion, the defendant directed couriers to transport approximately 25 to 50 kilograms of cocaine from California to New Hampshire and elsewhere in New England.”
The court filings state Hagstrom directed couriers to pick up millions of dollars in marijuana drug proceeds and transport the money back to him in California. The filings also claim Hagstrom used private jets to travel from California to the Boston area to pick up marijuana drug proceeds.
During its investigation and prosecution of the 23 individuals involved in the drug conspiracy, the U.S. authorities seized over $3 million, more than 1,000 kilograms of marijuana and more than 50 kilos of cocaine.
Hagstrom forfeited $90,000 in property to the United States and was the last defendant sentenced in the investigation. Included in related drug forfeiture's was a 2007 21-foot Daytona boat and trailer and a 2007 30-foot Eliminator Daytona boat and trailer.
Hagstrom's arrest was the result of a joint investigation conducted by personnel with the Drug Enforcement Administration, the IRS Criminal Investigation Boston office, Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection and Massachusetts State Police.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ferguson protests enter third day; arrests in St. Louis - 0
- Abuse history at Nashua address where 3-year-old died - 0
- Franklin robbery suspect sought, considered armed and dangerous - 0
- Franklin man and woman arraigned for attempted prostitution of minor - 0
- Police investigating death of 3-year-old girl in Nashua - 7
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 1
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
- Police say former manager of Hudson McDonald's stole $10k from restaurant - 1
- Manchester man facing two aggravated felonious sexual assault charges - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
Person found dead in Manchester alley
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483