Thousands come out in Boscawen to honor Garabrant's sacrifice
Jesse Garabrant is consoled at the funeral of her son, Marine Cpl. Brandon Garabrant, at the State Veterans Cemetery Saturday in Boscaween. (JOSH GIBNEY/UNION LEADER)
It was not a big surprise that about 2,000 people watched at the New Hampshire Veterans Cemetery as tearful family members lay bright red roses on Lance Cpl. Brandon Garabrant's silver casket before it was lowered into a grave amid early-afternoon sunshine. But Garabrant's friends and family weren't expecting the large outpouring from people who stood along the route taken by mourners from the funeral in Peterborough to the cemetery in Boscawen.
The turnout may have said as much about New Hampshire residents as it did about Garabrant, several family friends said.
Some onlookers not familiar with military graveside services appeared touched when two Marines removed the American flag draped over the coffin and folded it with slow care and precision. Once folded, the flag was presented to the family. Several Marines also handed prefolded flags to family members, a few of whom clutched the cloth to their chests as the ceremony came to a close.
Before the coffin was lowered into the ground, several family members were led away by Marines, who were in full dress uniform. Then, a few other people walked up to the coffin to pay their final respects.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- All U.S. airlines ordered to stop flying to Tel Aviv - 0
- Israel pounds Gaza despite peace efforts - 0
- U.S. trying to secure cease-fire between Israel, Hamas - 0
- Domino's becomes battleground in Hamas cyber onslaught - 0
- Israel says ground offensive under way in Gaza - 0
- U.S. says Malaysian airliner was 'blown out of the sky' - 0
- NH National Guard to conduct annual training in Michigan over three weeks - 0
- Thousands come out in Boscawen to honor Garabrant's sacrifice - 1
- Thousands attend funeral service for Marine in Peterborough - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Patriots Notebook: Physical Browner brings it - 0
- Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse - 2
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 1
- Punch line: The NFL blows it - 1
- George Will: A conservative internationalism - 0
- Sox Beat: Red Sox haven't made a deal for Lester — yet - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The Democrats' cynical impeachment play - 0
- Drew Cline: Home is where the really competent governing is done - 1
- Two GOP heavyweights try to get NH fired up about 2014 elections - 0
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Havenstein says he has always opposed Obamacare, though company he led was paid to implement parts of it
George Will: A conservative internationalism