Thousands come out in Boscawen to honor Garabrant's sacrifice
Jesse Garabrant is consoled at the funeral of her son, Marine Cpl. Brandon Garabrant, at the State Veterans Cemetery Saturday in Boscaween. (JOSH GIBNEY/UNION LEADER)
It was not a big surprise that about 2,000 people watched at the New Hampshire Veterans Cemetery as tearful family members lay bright red roses on Lance Cpl. Brandon Garabrant's silver casket before it was lowered into a grave amid early-afternoon sunshine. But Garabrant's friends and family weren't expecting the large outpouring from people who stood along the route taken by mourners from the funeral in Peterborough to the cemetery in Boscawen.
The turnout may have said as much about New Hampshire residents as it did about Garabrant, several family friends said.
Some onlookers not familiar with military graveside services appeared touched when two Marines removed the American flag draped over the coffin and folded it with slow care and precision. Once folded, the flag was presented to the family. Several Marines also handed prefolded flags to family members, a few of whom clutched the cloth to their chests as the ceremony came to a close.
Before the coffin was lowered into the ground, several family members were led away by Marines, who were in full dress uniform. Then, a few other people walked up to the coffin to pay their final respects.
READER COMMENTS: 27
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 47
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads