World War II veteran Stephan Lewy to receive French Legion of Honor
“Needless to say, I am a very pleased individual,” Lewy said.
“I was probably one in a million child survivors who found their parents,” he said.
“Looking back, I was very lucky. I wasn’t sent away to any camps,” he said.
In 1944, he enlisted in the Army and arrived on Utah Beach in Normandy 10 days after D-Day and served as an intelligence specialist. During the war, he served as an interrogator of enemy leaders and participated in the liberation of the Buchenwald concentration camp and in tracking down Nazi soldiers who were part of perpetrating the Holocaust.
He also was part of campaigns in Northern France, the Ardennes, the Rhineland and in Central Europe. For his service in the war, he was awarded the Bronze Star, the World War II Victory Medal, the Good Conduct Medal and the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal.
He said he planned to live a quiet retirement until he saw “Schindler’s List,” the Oscar-winning 1993 film by Steven Spielberg about the Holocaust.
Since then, he has told his story to thousands of schoolchildren in the hopes they are inspired not to hate.
Lewy will be presented the award by Fabien Fieschi, the French consul general in Boston, and Gov. Maggie Hassan.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- U.S. helicopters return to combat missions in Iraq - 0
- Video: British hostage beheaded by ISIS - 14
- To remember the POW and MIA: Recognition Day ceremony in Boscawen - 0
- Goffstown High grad finishes Air Force training - 0
- JFK picture on side of Dallas tour bus draws ire, threats - 0
- Yellowstone tourist fined for crashed drone - 0
- FBI chief claims killer of Foley and Sotloff is identified - 0
- FBI says militant in beheading videos ID'd; about a dozen from U.S. have fought with militants in Syria - 0
- U.S., Arab partners launch first strikes on Islamic State in Syria - 16
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 0
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.