Home » News » Politics » State Government
PILOT agreement allowed to stand after Hassan signs bill
The redevelopment of The Balsams, pictured on a recent weekend, got a boost when Gov. Maggie Hassan signed into law a bill that would keep the tax burden low in Dixville and neighboring Millsfield. (JOHN KOZIOL/Union Leader Correspondent)
Inked by the governor on July 2, according to her spokesman William Hinkle, HB1590 lets stand the Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILOT) agreement between the Coos County Commission and Granite Reliable Power, a subsidiary of Brookfield Power that owns and operates a windfarm in the unincorporated areas of Millsfield and Dixville.
Last month, the state Supreme Court handed down a decision that said the Coos County Commission should not have relied upon the DRA appraiser’s figure in determining the PILOT, but that it should have been able to see the DRA’s appraisal of the GRP windfarm.
“This has been a long process, but finally the tax base in Millsfield and Dixville has been stabilized and with it a significant obstacle to the development of the former Balsams Resort has been lifted.”
The redevelopment of The Balsams continues to be a work in progress.
Otten, according to a spokesman, is in discussions with Brookfield Power about reducing the setbacks between the wind turbines and The Wilderness ski area, which Otten would like to quadruple in size.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson selectmen approve ambulance fee increases - 0
- Derry Council revises tax cut goal - 0
- Londonderry board rejects workforce housing variances - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
- Thursday meeting to address Windham water project concerns - 0
- Derry takes steps to improve rundown buildings - 0
- Derry fire chief is retiring - 0
- Aldermen not quite ready to endorse art plan - 0
- Citing transparency, Merrimack officials won't hold private meetings with pipeline developers - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State House Dome: Just past Concord session a mixed bag - 0
- Monarchs squeak by Bruins - 0
- Memorial hockey shuts out Trinity - 0
- Dover's Parratto a national champion - 0
- UNH defense comes up big against Redbirds - 0
- St. Anselm men knock off Post - 0
- Leadership, defense made Katie Bishop, of Conway, an All-American - 0
- Jet menace faltered under Rex - 0
- Strong start lifts Bedford to win - 0
UNH loses to Illinois State
Cyber security a fear in NH, too
A new era for Nashua's police force
Nashua police left rattled by tot's death
Haylee Ann-Marie Patten
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'