Home » News » Public Safety
Keene dust-up to play out on 'Colbert Report'
City Council Member Randy Filiault said he almost refused to be interviewed, but then changed his mind.
After talking to someone from the show, he decided to go ahead with an interview. “I took the risk of interviewing anyway.” Filiaut said he chose to be a representative of the city’s point of view even though he knows he could be “hung out to dry,” he said.
More than a year ago, city drew national media attention in a battle with local activists called Robin Hood and his Merry Men after the group mounted a campaign to fill empty parking meters just before city parking enforcement officers could issue tickets.
Last year, from “Good Morning America” to The New York Times, the clash was boiled down to a story about activists fighting for their First Amendment rights with many city officials feeling their side of the story wasn’t made clear.
“My reaction to the Colbert show is it a very, very funny show, and they parody all sides of an issue and I’m not adverse to having fun poked at me,” MacLean said, but added that he has answered many questions already. At a certain point, continuing to answer to the Free Keene agenda just feeds the activists’ publicity machine, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride