Manchester education standards proposal derided at public hearing
Manchester curriculum documents► Click here to view the Manchester Academic Standards draft templates.
Only five people spoke at the meeting, which was attended by about 20 members of the public. It was adjourned after 15 minutes. Superintendent Debra Livingston and her two assistants were on hand, as were members of the committee that developed the standards, but they did not speak.
The Common Core State Standards remain the basis for the bulk of the lessons, although Manchester does go its own way in certain areas, such as a greater emphasis on literature in high school language arts and a greater use of conventional math in the lower grades.
Referring to the difference between Common Core and the city standards, he said, “I don’t know if it’s a big distinction, but there is a distinction, and a lot of people worked very hard to make sure there is a difference.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fleeing hostile states: Gun makers will travel - 6
- Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents - 20
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 6
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 3
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 6
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 7
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 5
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride