Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight
The school board’s Curriculum and Instruction Committee is to hold a public hearing on the standards at 7 p.m. in the Memorial High School auditorium.
Conservatives have charged that Common Core is part of a federal effort to impose rigid and unsound standards on local districts. Common Core has also drawn fire from teacher unions over what they’ve alleged is the hasty and mismanaged rollout of assessment tests based on the standards.
The site has draft versions of the standards for language arts and math classes in grades kindergarten through 12.
In the lower grades, the CCSS learning goals are retained for most lessons, although there are some modifications. For fourth grade math, the Manchester standards propose replacing the CCSS goal of representing “verbal statements of multiplicative comparisons as multiplication equations” with “interpret a multiplication statement as an equation and vice versa.”
There is greater deviation from the CCSS in high school language arts courses. Sections on fiction, poetry, drama and traditional literature are added, while CCSS components concerning “comprehension, analysis and interpretation” are retained.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Brandon Ross: A sure-fire way to eradicate NH's 'spice' problem - 0
- Another View: Jeanne Shaheen was M.I.A. on VA reform - 24
- Paul Holloway: NH's community colleges prepare for a new era - 2
- Betsy McCaughey: More ways Washington squanders your money - 5
- Pat Buchanan: Let Congress vote on Iraq War III - 1
- Who is minding those who mind the store at NH State House? - 4
- Jonah Goldberg: America's selective Libertarianism - 6
- Charles Krauthammer: Why Hillary got it right - 11
- George Will: President Obama in a stew over inversions - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 6
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist