Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight
The school board’s Curriculum and Instruction Committee is to hold a public hearing on the standards at 7 p.m. in the Memorial High School auditorium.
Conservatives have charged that Common Core is part of a federal effort to impose rigid and unsound standards on local districts. Common Core has also drawn fire from teacher unions over what they’ve alleged is the hasty and mismanaged rollout of assessment tests based on the standards.
The site has draft versions of the standards for language arts and math classes in grades kindergarten through 12.
In the lower grades, the CCSS learning goals are retained for most lessons, although there are some modifications. For fourth grade math, the Manchester standards propose replacing the CCSS goal of representing “verbal statements of multiplicative comparisons as multiplication equations” with “interpret a multiplication statement as an equation and vice versa.”
There is greater deviation from the CCSS in high school language arts courses. Sections on fiction, poetry, drama and traditional literature are added, while CCSS components concerning “comprehension, analysis and interpretation” are retained.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester schools off 'priority' list - 0
- Nashua officials seek advice on issue of student cellphone searches vs. privacy - 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
- New schedule feature will provide Nashua students with opportunities - 0
- Manchester forums will allow public to question principal finalists - 0
- Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses - 1
- Manchester education standards proposal derided at public hearing - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Gilles Bissonnette: To keep Libertarians off the ballot, NH violates their rights - 0
- Insanity: Obamacare and the rule of law - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's counterweight to a strong central government - 0
- Tom Woodlock All-Stars primed for success in Babe Ruth tournament - 0
- Manchester waives right to buy Millyard building - 0
- Police search for missing Stratford woman - 0
- Blue Jays cool off Red Sox - 0
- Passers-by, including two active-duty Army soldiers, help rescue mom, daughter in I-93 rollover - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 0
Passers-by, including two active-duty Army soldiers, help rescue mom, daughter in I-93 rollover
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's