Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight
The school board’s Curriculum and Instruction Committee is to hold a public hearing on the standards at 7 p.m. in the Memorial High School auditorium.
Conservatives have charged that Common Core is part of a federal effort to impose rigid and unsound standards on local districts. Common Core has also drawn fire from teacher unions over what they’ve alleged is the hasty and mismanaged rollout of assessment tests based on the standards.
The site has draft versions of the standards for language arts and math classes in grades kindergarten through 12.
In the lower grades, the CCSS learning goals are retained for most lessons, although there are some modifications. For fourth grade math, the Manchester standards propose replacing the CCSS goal of representing “verbal statements of multiplicative comparisons as multiplication equations” with “interpret a multiplication statement as an equation and vice versa.”
There is greater deviation from the CCSS in high school language arts courses. Sections on fiction, poetry, drama and traditional literature are added, while CCSS components concerning “comprehension, analysis and interpretation” are retained.
READER COMMENTS: 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 43
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 37
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 10
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 71
- Race and policing: America has a problem - 0
- Strength in faith: Gaining it from Jim Foley's family - 0
- Playing chicken: Treating voters like idiots - 0
- Perry’s indictment: An abuse of the legal system - 24
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
- Stewart probe goes on - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate