Home » News » Public Safety
Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH
When they realized their mistake, they called 911 at about 11 p.m. and New Hampshire Fish and Game Conservation Officer William Boudreau and members of the New Ipswich Fire Department located the lost hikers shortly before midnight in the Binney Pond Natural Area.
Laura Ann Stern, 24, Erin Stern, 19, Alexis Gibbons, 18, and Whitney Mansfield, 18, were assisted out to the Binney Pond Road and transported to the New Ipswich Fire Department, where a family member was waiting.
Fish and Game Lt. David Walsh said anyone who wants to enjoy the state's recreational opportunities should do so responsibly, which includes carrying essential equipment, including a trail map and compass.
A cell phone is not a substitute for proper equipment, because cell phone coverage can be spotty or non-existent in some areas and situations. For more information, go to hikesafe.com.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama