Home » News » Public Safety
Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH
When they realized their mistake, they called 911 at about 11 p.m. and New Hampshire Fish and Game Conservation Officer William Boudreau and members of the New Ipswich Fire Department located the lost hikers shortly before midnight in the Binney Pond Natural Area.
Laura Ann Stern, 24, Erin Stern, 19, Alexis Gibbons, 18, and Whitney Mansfield, 18, were assisted out to the Binney Pond Road and transported to the New Ipswich Fire Department, where a family member was waiting.
Fish and Game Lt. David Walsh said anyone who wants to enjoy the state's recreational opportunities should do so responsibly, which includes carrying essential equipment, including a trail map and compass.
A cell phone is not a substitute for proper equipment, because cell phone coverage can be spotty or non-existent in some areas and situations. For more information, go to hikesafe.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 4
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 11
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 7
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 17
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it