action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:67
Fugitive of the Week Jonathan Benedict

Jonathan E. Benedict

Oct 30, 2014

Darrell Cook

Darrell W. Cook

Oct 2, 2014

Michael Polchies

CAPTURED

Michael Polchies

Sep 25, 2014

Jarrett Michael Cote

Jarrett M. Cote

Sep 18, 2014

Home » News » Crime

July 10. 2014 8:11PM

Fathers of injured teens pleased with order sending back Coco to jail

BEDFORD — The fathers of the teens hit by a car driven by fired Manchester police officer Stephen Coco last year said Thursday they are thrilled to learn that Coco has been ordered back to prison but were shocked that Coco, who was sentenced to one year in prison earlier this year for the hit-and-run accident, was released from prison last month after serving 72 days.

“I feel good with the judicial system and how it has worked,” said Roy Drukker, whose son, Dean, suffered a head injury in the March 22, 2013, accident and has recovered. He was walking with Noah Hickman, who suffered a broken elbow and has also recovered. Coco pleaded guilty to two felony charges of conduct after an accident in a negotiated plea.

On Thursday, Hillsborough County Superior Court Judge Gillian Abramason ordered Coco, who was released June 6 from the Hillsborough County Jail by Superintendent David Dionne, be returned to prison, saying the goals of punishment and deterrence for his crime was “not served or met by release after just 72 days in jail.”

“I’m just happy and pleased with her decision,” said John Hickman, Noah’s father. “I believe it lends credibility to the judicial system.”

“I’m just really, really thrilled that her decision was the exact same decision as the one in March,” Drukker said. “I’m just really thrilled that the judge interpreted the law to read that the judge could go back to the original sentence.”

Drukker and Hickman said they were not informed of Coco’s release until this week — more than a month after Coco was out of jail.

“That part was a surprise to me,” Hickman said.

“I had no idea. It was even more shocking that I wasn’t told about it,” Drukker said. “I was told that I would at least be informed if he was released, but I was not.”

tbuckland@unionleader.com


Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
  • Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
  • KSC students
  • 37%
  • KSC administration
  • 2%
  • Police
  • 6%
  • Visitors from out of town
  • 18%
  • A combination of any/all of the above
  • 37%
  • Total Votes: 2483

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events