Jaffrey fire at transfer stationBy MEGHAN PIERCE
Union Leader Correspondent
July 11. 2014 1:24PM
JAFFREY -- Firefighters battled a two-alarm blaze at Monadnock Disposal Service station Thursday.
Firefighters responded to a first alarm fire at Monadnock Disposal Service, 101 Old Sharon Road, at 2:14 p.m. The industrial dump is used as a private transfer station for the sorting of residential and commercial waste.
On the way, Jaffrey Fire Chief David M. Chamberlain ordered a second alarm when he saw the large column of smoke on the horizon.
Ffirefighters arrived to find heavy black smoke coming out of the overhead doors and heavy fire inside the 100-by-75 foot metal building. An excavator inside also was burning.
All workers were out of the building before firefighters arrived, so they went to work knocking down the flames. Assistant Deputy Chief Keith Dupuis used a second excavator at the scene to move trash to help firefighters extinguish burning materials.
The fire was under control by 4:20 p.m. A firefighter was treated at the scene for heat-related systems. There were no other injuries.
The N.H. Fire Marshal's Office and Jaffrey Fire Department are investigating what sparked the blaze. A fire in 2012 happened while the facility was sorting similar material.