All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Judge allows South Hampton man charged in standoff to seek VA treatment

Union Leader Correspondent

July 13. 2014 7:46PM

SEABROOK — A South Hampton man who allegedly stole and crashed two police cruisers during an hours-long standoff with police will be treated at a Veteran’s Affairs facility in New York while charges are pending against him, according to a court order.

Anthony Reardon, 44, a U.S. Navy veteran, has been jailed since his June 3 standoff with dozens of state and local police officers in South Hampton, a rural town on the Massachusetts state line.

Reardon will undergo treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder at a VA facility in Montrose, N.Y. Judge Sharon DeVries approved an agreement struck between prosecutors and Reardon’s defense lawyer in 10th Circuit Court Seabrook Division.

Prosecutors are expected to return to court in roughly 12 weeks to update the judge about the status of Reardon’s treatment. Reardon had to waive all confidentiality regarding his treatment, the order says. The VA has also agreed to keep the state apprised of Reardon’s “presence and participation” in his treatment.

If Reardon leaves the facility, he will be returned to county jail unless he can post $100,000 cash bail.

Police responded to Reardon’s home at 81 Highland Avenue in South Hampton on June 3 around 4:14 p.m. for a report of a suicidal man known to have firearms and run-ins with local police, according to court records.

Reardon allegedly called 911 for help, but soon met police while armed with a rifle in each hand.

He refused to put down his weapons, prompting police to take cover, police said. The officers lost sight of Reardon, who re-emerged moments later wearing a camouflage vest and helmet, state police said.

While officers were taking cover, Reardon got into a Kensington police cruiser and drove off, crashing into a ditch and a stand of trees, court records said. Reardon then was able to get behind the wheel of a state police cruiser and drive off, crashing it into another state trooper’s vehicle and a cruiser from Hampton Falls, police said.

After that second crash, Reardon was seen by police taking cover behind one of the state trooper vehicles involved in the crash, court records said. Reardon then “appeared to be pointing a weapon in a sweeping manner” in the direction of two state troopers, police said.

The troopers fired their M4 rifles at Reardon in response, a court affidavit said. Reardon was not struck and the officers again lost sight of him. The two officers were eventually evacuated from the scene by the Seacoast Emergency Response Team’s armored vehicle, the affidavit said.

Reardon was later found back inside his home, but police had initially received a report that he crossed Highland Road and went into the woods.

Reardon eventually surrendered and was taken into custody roughly four hours after he called police.

Kensington police had taken a number of guns away from Reardon following an incident involving the South Hampton Police Department in 2013.

Courts Crime South Hampton Top Section Stories

More Headlines