Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center
The district’s bid was disclosed at Monday’s Board of School Committee meeting, much to the frustration of Ward 9 school board member Art Beaudry, who insisted that the board should have had a say in whether to move forward with the plan.
On Tuesday, Gatsas said the board will have the chance to debate the matter next month, when it goes before the Coordination Committee.
Gatsas noted that if Manchester wins the contract, it would be the first school district to operate a Job Corps center in the country. There are 125 such centers, and the Manchester center will be the first in New Hampshire in the program’s 50-year history.
But Beaudry said on Monday that the mayor and the school administration were “as usual putting the cart before the horse.”
He added, “We have to put a stop to this.”
Ryan said he couldn’t disclose any details of the contract because it was “a sealed bid,” but he said it could be “quite lucrative based on a five-year projection.”
According to the request for proposals to operate the Manchester center issued earlier this year by the U.S. Department of Labor, the five-year contract will be governed by a cost-plus-fixed-fee arrangement. The government would cover agreed upon costs to run the center and pay a performance-based fee to the contractor of up to 2.4 percent of the operating cost.
Under the request for proposals, the Manchester center would have 300 students when fully operational, with 268 of them living on the premises. There would be 290 staff members.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 0
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 9
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
- Police seeking help to identify alleged credit card thieves - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride