Future of I-93 Exit 4A debated
The two elected officials debated the project during a presentation by the state Department of Transportation on the ongoing Interstate 93 widening project.
Dimmock said he was adamantly opposed to the project, saying it would divert traffic from Derry’s already beleaguered downtown area. He said the project, which was first proposed decades ago, would no longer benefit Derry.
The downtown has suffered economically in recent years and Derry is a virtual ghost town, Dimmock said. Adding Exit 4A would only exacerbate the situation, he said.
But Rausch, who was also in attendance, stepped to the microphone in disagreement.
Instead of further harming the downtown and Derry, the project would help by reducing traffic congestion around Exit 4 on I-93 during the evening commute, Rausch said. It would also prove beneficial for the town and region by providing better access for businesses, he said.
Work is progressing on the $775 million project that will widen and reconstruct I-93 from Salem to Manchester, the officials said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies - 5
- Editorial: Jim Adams The GOP choice in Council Dist. 4 - 0
- NH's immigrants: Welcome the ones from Mass. - 13
- Pope’s call-out Where’s the Muslim outrage? - 5
- Free state garden: Weeding is always good - 29
- August recess: Whither our NH representatives? - 1
- Portsmouth saga: Was this 'Officer Too-Friendly?' - 1
- Armed to the teeth, national media discover Bearcats - 21
- Market Basket fallout: Most innocent bystanders - 14
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 6
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m