Struggle of returning female veterans is showcased in film playing July 29
But what happens when Jane comes marching home?
The New Hampshire Veterans Home will be highlighting the struggles of female veterans to readjust to normal lives after returning from military service with a documentary video and a panel discussion on Tuesday, July 29, at 2 p.m.
The video is the award-winning “Service: When Women Come Marching Home,” a presentation by independent filmmakers Marcia Rock and Patricia Lee Stotter.
The film highlights a group of disabled female veterans as they struggle with problems from amputations and prosthetics to homelessness, post-traumatic stress, and military sexual trauma as they transition from active duty back to civilian life.
Women veterans face most of the same problems men face, and then a few more, Stotter said. They deal with physical injuries, post-traumatic stress, and sexual trauma from having been in a male-dominated environment, she said.
Distribution of the film is backed by the national organization of the Disabled American Veterans.
After the hour-long film is shown, the home will host a panel discussion on the changing roles of women in the military.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police obtain warrants for suspect wanted in Dover, Manchester bank robberies - 0
- Abby Dion, 9, records a 10 in gymnastics meet - 0
- St. A skaters fall to Norwich - 0
- Monarchs lose in OT; win streak stops at 6 - 0
- Police searching for person stealing from cars in Manchester - 1
- College Football: Maine seniors want the coveted musket - 0
- College Hockey: Ice-making problem postpones UNH-PC - 1
- Pinkerton backfield a combination of power and speed - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: State Legion rejects Post 79’s request for senior team - 2
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Offend someone? To jail with you!
Obama to illegals: Come out of shadows
Plaistow town planner arrested
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
A kinder, gentler House Speaker?
College Hockey: Providence blanks UNH
Pipeline's NH route moves to top choice