Struggle of returning female veterans is showcased in film playing July 29
But what happens when Jane comes marching home?
The New Hampshire Veterans Home will be highlighting the struggles of female veterans to readjust to normal lives after returning from military service with a documentary video and a panel discussion on Tuesday, July 29, at 2 p.m.
The video is the award-winning “Service: When Women Come Marching Home,” a presentation by independent filmmakers Marcia Rock and Patricia Lee Stotter.
The film highlights a group of disabled female veterans as they struggle with problems from amputations and prosthetics to homelessness, post-traumatic stress, and military sexual trauma as they transition from active duty back to civilian life.
Women veterans face most of the same problems men face, and then a few more, Stotter said. They deal with physical injuries, post-traumatic stress, and sexual trauma from having been in a male-dominated environment, she said.
Distribution of the film is backed by the national organization of the Disabled American Veterans.
After the hour-long film is shown, the home will host a panel discussion on the changing roles of women in the military.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three named to Manchester school posts - 0
- Derry Early Education Program to relocate - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 2
- Nashua school staff see tests as key to tracking student growth - 0
- Two Manchester schools off 'priority' list - 0
- Nashua officials seek advice on issue of student cellphone searches vs. privacy - 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH