Hiring of Manchester fire deputy contested
Just two weeks ago, aldermen lifted a hiring freeze and said department heads could manage their hires without going through the mayor. But aldermen also approved the reclassification of one of six district chiefs, dropping the pay grade for the head of the Fire Prevention Bureau from district chief to fire marshal.
Gatsas said he’d like to see Corbeil’s job remain vacant while elected officials consider restructuring the fire department.
“Look at the number of captains, lieutenants and district chiefs,” Gatsas said. “You’ll see its an incredibly high ratio of supervisors to actual firefighters.”
Of the approximately 201 uniformed positions in the fire department, 134 are line firefighters, another three are fire investigators.
Burkush said the titles are deceiving because captains and lieutenants, who staff fire stations and equipment, work alongside line firefighters.
District chiefs, which he equates to captains in the police department, have overall command of a fire scene and can handle emergency management situations and training, Burkush said.
Burkush said he has restructured his department. There are now 46 firefighters on duty at any one time, compared to 51 in 2008. Over the past 10 years, the number of district chiefs fell from nine to five, he said.
“Every city department has gone through so many cuts,” Burkush said, “that we all understand we have to do things efficiently.”
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Drew Cline: Andrew Hemingway, a young candidate with a future and a past - 6
- Annie Kuster has the distinction of being John Bolton's first ad target - 9
- Drew Cline: Bob Smith's three 'p's': Principle, platform, party - 4
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 18
- Drew Cline: Dan Innis is no political lightweight - 3
- Drew Cline: A Libertarian plays devil's advocate in U.S. Senate race - 3
- Drew Cline: Eric Cantor, 'Game of Thrones,' and the selling of NH politics - 15
- Drew Cline: In the State House, a weakening check on NH government - 1
- Drew Cline: Street cred and endorsements in the U.S. Senate primary - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 6
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist