Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Scaremongering is the left's hobby
Afraid of Hobby Lobby? Nonsense. Democratic politicians are lying about the court’s ruling, scaremongering and trying to whip up a war over reproductive rights before the fall election. Here are the lies they’re telling and the truth you need to know.
In truth, the court did nothing like that. Every birth control method that was legal before the ruling is still legal.
Not to worry. Hobby Lobby will not lead to Shariah law.
U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren said she was “stunned that we live in a world where the Supreme Court of the United States of America would even consider putting the interests of big corporations before the fundamental rights of American women.”
It applies only to closely- held companies where owners would share a religious conviction.
The “big corporations” rhetoric is a diversion. In 2008, Sens. Murray and Hillary Clinton offered legislation to reduce conscience protections for doctors, pharmacists and other health care workers who refuse to prescribe morning after pills and other birth control products based on religious beliefs. U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn, an ob/gyn, warned that doctors would resist. The legislation stalled, but on Jan. 2, the Obama administration accomplished the same thing by regulation.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- JFK picture on side of Dallas tour bus draws ire, threats - 0
- Yellowstone tourist fined for crashed drone - 0
- FBI chief claims killer of Foley and Sotloff is identified - 0
- FBI says militant in beheading videos ID'd; about a dozen from U.S. have fought with militants in Syria - 0
- U.S., Arab partners launch first strikes on Islamic State in Syria - 16
- Obama to make statement after airstrikes against Islamic State, White House official says - 3
- US opens new front against Islamic State with airstrikes in Syria - 0
- Pentagon says U.S., partner nations launch first strikes in Syria - 0
- 3 Afghan soldiers missing from Cape Cod found at the Canadian border - 1
READER COMMENTS: 2
- UPDATED: Bail set at $20,000 for Holiday Inn Express robbery suspect - 1
- Nashua driver rejects plea deal in hit-and-run negligent homicide case - 0
- UPDATED: Distracted by dog, woman downs two utility poles on Manchester’s Varney Street - 1
- UPDATED: Regulators OK 47 percent rate hike for Liberty Utilities customers - 13
- Nashua man facing numerous assault charges in attack on woman - 0
- After flap over 'racist' comment, no call for Lincoln planner to resign from board - 17
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 5
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 1
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 4
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser
State surplus isn't big enough
Weare police sergeant's firing rescinded
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance