Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Scaremongering is the left's hobby
Afraid of Hobby Lobby? Nonsense. Democratic politicians are lying about the court’s ruling, scaremongering and trying to whip up a war over reproductive rights before the fall election. Here are the lies they’re telling and the truth you need to know.
In truth, the court did nothing like that. Every birth control method that was legal before the ruling is still legal.
Not to worry. Hobby Lobby will not lead to Shariah law.
U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren said she was “stunned that we live in a world where the Supreme Court of the United States of America would even consider putting the interests of big corporations before the fundamental rights of American women.”
It applies only to closely- held companies where owners would share a religious conviction.
The “big corporations” rhetoric is a diversion. In 2008, Sens. Murray and Hillary Clinton offered legislation to reduce conscience protections for doctors, pharmacists and other health care workers who refuse to prescribe morning after pills and other birth control products based on religious beliefs. U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn, an ob/gyn, warned that doctors would resist. The legislation stalled, but on Jan. 2, the Obama administration accomplished the same thing by regulation.
READER COMMENTS: 18
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 3
- Leo Bernier: For Hillsborough County Commission - 0
- Insurance exchanges Sam's Club or Obama's club? - 11
- Garcia and Guinta: For a change, send them to DC - 21
- Jeanne's travel ban: She doesn't want Obama here - 14
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 9
- Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out - 41
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 26
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 0
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 0
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- Report: Cubs will hire Joe Maddon as manager - 0
- Pastoral Counseling Services honors Good Samaritans - 0
- Peterborough church plan advances after land buy - 0
- Stocks down a little after Fed move - 0
- Portsmouth retailer sells goods from across U.S. in a small 'pop-up shop' - 0
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw