Another View -- Yehuda Yaakov: What Israel is up against
This shouldn’t surprise anyone; around 20 percent of Israel’s population isn’t Jewish. The Hamas rockets aren’t smart enough to distinguish among our civilians — whether Circassian, Druze, Muslim, Christian or Jewish — and so they’re all targets. So when Hamas rockets fall on Ashdod, Beersheba, Tel Aviv, Haifa or farther north, they cement the common fate of all the religious and ethnic communities that make up our resilient societal mosaic.
It has positioned rocket launchers, weapons stores, leadership facilities, command and control centers, communication facilities and other terrorist infrastructures among the civilian population of Gaza. The sites are deliberately located in, near or under homes, schools, hospitals and mosques, leaving Palestinian civilians deliberately exposed to grave danger.
It doesn’t end there: Since the beginning of Operation Protective Edge, Hamas has fired more than 100 rockets from from Gaza that have hit their own territory. Indeed, last Sunday Hamas left 70,000 Palestinians without power after one of its rockets hit a high voltage power line in Israel that carries electricity to Gaza.
Yehuda Yaakov is consul general of Israel to New England.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 3
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 3
- Pat Buchanan: The high price of papal popularity - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown does not get what 'pro-choice' really means - 15
- Deroy Murdock: Scott Brown's good case for a Republican Senate - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Rise of the Clinton Democrats (not really) - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Kelley Tambouris: I am a Manchester teacher, and I need more support - 23
- Political correctness could wind up killing a lot of Americans - 4
- Charles Krauthammer: Ebola vs. civil liberties - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH Notebook: Ground game is Stony Brook's rock - 0
- The debut of the 'The $30,000 Nutt' - 0
- How stable is this telephone pole? - 0
- Drew Cline: Two weeks before the election, no one is talking about guns - 0
- Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out - 0
- Debate rule No. 1: Don't crash - 0
- Obamacare takes center stage at 1st Congressional debate - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Roundup: Londonderry edges Central - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Brummett spurs Derryfield - 0
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison
Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen