Another View -- Yehuda Yaakov: What Israel is up against
This shouldn’t surprise anyone; around 20 percent of Israel’s population isn’t Jewish. The Hamas rockets aren’t smart enough to distinguish among our civilians — whether Circassian, Druze, Muslim, Christian or Jewish — and so they’re all targets. So when Hamas rockets fall on Ashdod, Beersheba, Tel Aviv, Haifa or farther north, they cement the common fate of all the religious and ethnic communities that make up our resilient societal mosaic.
It has positioned rocket launchers, weapons stores, leadership facilities, command and control centers, communication facilities and other terrorist infrastructures among the civilian population of Gaza. The sites are deliberately located in, near or under homes, schools, hospitals and mosques, leaving Palestinian civilians deliberately exposed to grave danger.
It doesn’t end there: Since the beginning of Operation Protective Edge, Hamas has fired more than 100 rockets from from Gaza that have hit their own territory. Indeed, last Sunday Hamas left 70,000 Palestinians without power after one of its rockets hit a high voltage power line in Israel that carries electricity to Gaza.
Yehuda Yaakov is consul general of Israel to New England.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 16
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads