Another View -- Yehuda Yaakov: What Israel is up against
This shouldn’t surprise anyone; around 20 percent of Israel’s population isn’t Jewish. The Hamas rockets aren’t smart enough to distinguish among our civilians — whether Circassian, Druze, Muslim, Christian or Jewish — and so they’re all targets. So when Hamas rockets fall on Ashdod, Beersheba, Tel Aviv, Haifa or farther north, they cement the common fate of all the religious and ethnic communities that make up our resilient societal mosaic.
It has positioned rocket launchers, weapons stores, leadership facilities, command and control centers, communication facilities and other terrorist infrastructures among the civilian population of Gaza. The sites are deliberately located in, near or under homes, schools, hospitals and mosques, leaving Palestinian civilians deliberately exposed to grave danger.
It doesn’t end there: Since the beginning of Operation Protective Edge, Hamas has fired more than 100 rockets from from Gaza that have hit their own territory. Indeed, last Sunday Hamas left 70,000 Palestinians without power after one of its rockets hit a high voltage power line in Israel that carries electricity to Gaza.
Yehuda Yaakov is consul general of Israel to New England.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi: The senators who really threaten America - 1
- Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Is the Islamic State really un-Islamic? - 1
- George Will: Scotland's epic vote - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: Obama's uncertain trumpet, again - 0
- Maureen McDonald: Ray Rice and the everyday problem of domestic violence - 1
- Another View -- Jason Bedrick: An important court victory for parents and taxpayers - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Mob rule economics is bad for everyone - 8
- George Will: Eviscerating the 1st Amendment is extremism - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 7
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Strategery: A war by any other name
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out