Family of World War I vet receives Purple Heart medal in ceremony
The National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis said it had no file for Silva, likely lost in a 1973 fire that destroyed an estimated 16-18 million military personnel files.
“It’s really nice to be here with Frank and the whole Silva family to award these medals posthumously to Frank’s father,” she said.
About two dozen people attended the ceremony in addition to Silva’s family. While his father may have been too modest to appreciate the recognition, Silva was pleased to have the awards earned by Pvt. Frank A. Silva Jr. and share the memory with friends and family.“That was an honor to witness,” one woman said to Silva as she shook his hand on her way out of the Legion Hall.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Traffic change Wednesday for Keene State move-in day - 0
- Historic Blair Bridge in Campton reopened - 1
- Creative ways to finance rail in NH pushed - 12
- Hudson grapples with traffic concerns as industrial park grows - 0
- Nashua transportation roundtable event canceled - 0
- Crews making progress on Derry's Rockingham Road - 1
- Crews make progress sprucing up Derry's Abbott Court, Central Court - 0
- Nashua aldermen asked to prioritize paving needs - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 7
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?