Pelham PMC Kids Ride
Pelham family supports Pan-Mass cause
Wanting to find a way to involve her young niece and nephew, Shayna, now 29, and her father organized a Pelham PMC Kids Ride in 2013.
“It began as a personal challenge to myself,” the Pelham resident said. “I didn’t know anyone else who was riding, but I felt so supported along the way.”
In 2003, after years of helping other families affected by cancer, the disease struck the Silva family.
Then, in 2011, Shayna’s other uncle, and David’s brother, Joe, was diagnosed with lung cancer. Joe Silva died in February 2013 at the age of 60.
In her uncle’s honor, she organized the Pelham event to support “Joe’s Patriots,” named for his fondness for the New England Patriots.
That event raised nearly $14,800 and this year the Silva family is hoping they can recruit at least 50 area kids to participate in the local ride.
“He was a pretty funny guy,” she said. “I think he’d really get a kick out of all this.”
There is a $10 registration fee and a $25 fundraising minimum for each participant.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.