Ted Siefer's City Hall: 'Sexting' episode on Facebook becomes topic in real world
BOB LaPREE/UNION LEADER ¬ Manchester Mayor Ted Gatsas delivers his inaugural address at the Palace Theatre Tuesday. (1/5/10)
"Fortunately, that I am a practicing Catholic does not mean I am perfect, nor does it mean I am inherently hypocritical," he said, "What separates us from those who do not believe is we understand we must accept responsibility and seek forgiveness from those we have hurt, repent ... and redeem yourself."
"I think 'dropout' has a stigma," he said. "I think 'non-completer' says we're not sure if the student let himself down or the district let him down. I was hoping we could change our philosophy."
There was one wrinkle. As the assistant superintendent pointed out, "dropout" is a technical term used by state officials.
A one-man city institution is retiring: Mike Roche, the Manchester Water Works technician who is also the longest serving president of any city union.
Roche said his decision to retire had nothing to do with the fact that contract negotiations will be kicking into high gear later this year - and the city will likely once again be looking for concessions on health care and other benefits.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester aldermen go extra, roundabout mile to see firefighter hired - 3
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Manchester school board should be proud of its accomplishments - 1
- Manchester police looking at a possible shift in Maras - 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Discussion of tax cap override laced with drama - 4
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Fate of hockey arena put on ice for time being - 3
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Chorus of grumbling grows over Manchester school administration - 10
- City Hall: A half-cheer for beer; Alderman Levasseur drops lawsuit against Greazzo - 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Taxing issue resolved, but alderman still angry - 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: With Gatsas back, aldermen increase fees, tighten exemptions - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 0
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's
City Hall » Events
- Should mortar-style firework sales to the public be prohibited?
- Total Votes: 1507