Ted Siefer's City Hall: 'Sexting' episode on Facebook becomes topic in real world
BOB LaPREE/UNION LEADER ¬ Manchester Mayor Ted Gatsas delivers his inaugural address at the Palace Theatre Tuesday. (1/5/10)
"Fortunately, that I am a practicing Catholic does not mean I am perfect, nor does it mean I am inherently hypocritical," he said, "What separates us from those who do not believe is we understand we must accept responsibility and seek forgiveness from those we have hurt, repent ... and redeem yourself."
"I think 'dropout' has a stigma," he said. "I think 'non-completer' says we're not sure if the student let himself down or the district let him down. I was hoping we could change our philosophy."
There was one wrinkle. As the assistant superintendent pointed out, "dropout" is a technical term used by state officials.
A one-man city institution is retiring: Mike Roche, the Manchester Water Works technician who is also the longest serving president of any city union.
Roche said his decision to retire had nothing to do with the fact that contract negotiations will be kicking into high gear later this year - and the city will likely once again be looking for concessions on health care and other benefits.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Drivers education to science, meeting all about the kids - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Levasseur denies conflict of interest; feathers could fly - 4
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Aldermen see familiar face; MPD 'smacked' for its actions - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Schools, consolidation ideas and tears mark aldermanic session - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Gatsas continues job-consolidation mantra - 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Video machines and gambling: What gambling? - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: 'Sexting' episode on Facebook becomes topic in real world - 13
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Manchester Supt. Livingston won't explain modified school standards - 0
- Manchester aldermen go extra, roundabout mile to see firefighter hired - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
DWI license revocations
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua