Ted Siefer's City Hall: 'Sexting' episode on Facebook becomes topic in real world
BOB LaPREE/UNION LEADER Č Manchester Mayor Ted Gatsas delivers his inaugural address at the Palace Theatre Tuesday. (1/5/10)
"Fortunately, that I am a practicing Catholic does not mean I am perfect, nor does it mean I am inherently hypocritical," he said, "What separates us from those who do not believe is we understand we must accept responsibility and seek forgiveness from those we have hurt, repent ... and redeem yourself."
"I think 'dropout' has a stigma," he said. "I think 'non-completer' says we're not sure if the student let himself down or the district let him down. I was hoping we could change our philosophy."
There was one wrinkle. As the assistant superintendent pointed out, "dropout" is a technical term used by state officials.
A one-man city institution is retiring: Mike Roche, the Manchester Water Works technician who is also the longest serving president of any city union.
Roche said his decision to retire had nothing to do with the fact that contract negotiations will be kicking into high gear later this year - and the city will likely once again be looking for concessions on health care and other benefits.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Drivers education to science, meeting all about the kids - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Levasseur denies conflict of interest; feathers could fly - 4
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Aldermen see familiar face; MPD 'smacked' for its actions - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Schools, consolidation ideas and tears mark aldermanic session - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Gatsas continues job-consolidation mantra - 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Video machines and gambling: What gambling? - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: 'Sexting' episode on Facebook becomes topic in real world - 13
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Manchester Supt. Livingston won't explain modified school standards - 0
- Manchester aldermen go extra, roundabout mile to see firefighter hired - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man stabbed in leg in Manchester incident - 0
- Senate sustains Hassan veto of bill to revamp juvenile justice system - 0
- Possible negotiated plea for Nashua dad accused of negligent homicide in son's death - 0
- Amherst man facing charges in August Merrimack accident - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Brown calls on Shaheen to back bill targeting ISIS - 4
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid is identified - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Football Power Poll; Who's No. 1 this week? - 0
In 2nd District race, Garcia bucks Obamacare
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Find the hidden cash stashed downtown
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats