Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: The grandson also rises
This sounds to me suspiciously like Common Core. I think he should reach higher.
What I didn’t know, until it started popping up all over our newspaper last week, was what the heck “rising’’ meant.
Within two days, I read of a “rising 8th grader’’ in Bedford, a “rising’’ senior at Goffstown High, and a “rising junior at Boston College.
The Lady of the Little House knew its meaning; and a couple of the newsroom editors looked at me as if I were sporting two heads when I asked about it. Funny thing, but more and more they look at me in that way. Does this mean I am a rising retiree?
“Well,’’ I ventured, “I might say the kid is between grades.’’
They didn’t appear to be satisfied by this, or even sanguine.
Meanwhile, I am wondering if it is a good idea to teach Ike how to build a fire and a shelter. He is pretty responsible, but little brothers Mike and Spike? Not so much.
This would be the one that police have been watching since 2009 and whose ownership has since been linked to an international marijuana ring.
If I were the pizza shop owner, I would rely on the “rising dough’’ defense.
READER COMMENTS: 28
- Veterans Count, for less: Feds shred a program that works - 3
- Salem's town clown: Nothing is the public's business - 3
- Havenstein's Pledge: It's a sound business plan - 2
- 'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH - 30
- Personhood Controversial? Really? - 33
- Pocket Constitutions: Windham's non-scandal - 16
- Obama's escalation: In Iraq, too broad a fight - 14
- NH's prison population: The real story behind a failed law - 12
- Constitutional thought: Enter our student essay contest - 0
READER COMMENTS: 3
- UPDATED: Bail set at $20,000 for Holiday Inn Express robbery suspect - 1
- Nashua driver rejects plea deal in hit-and-run negligent homicide case - 0
- UPDATED: Distracted by dog, woman downs two utility poles on Manchester’s Varney Street - 1
- UPDATED: Regulators OK 47 percent rate hike for Liberty Utilities customers - 13
- Nashua man facing numerous assault charges in attack on woman - 0
- After flap over 'racist' comment, no call for Lincoln planner to resign from board - 17
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 5
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 1
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 4
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser
Weare police sergeant's firing rescinded
State surplus isn't big enough
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance