Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: The grandson also rises
This sounds to me suspiciously like Common Core. I think he should reach higher.
What I didn’t know, until it started popping up all over our newspaper last week, was what the heck “rising’’ meant.
Within two days, I read of a “rising 8th grader’’ in Bedford, a “rising’’ senior at Goffstown High, and a “rising junior at Boston College.
The Lady of the Little House knew its meaning; and a couple of the newsroom editors looked at me as if I were sporting two heads when I asked about it. Funny thing, but more and more they look at me in that way. Does this mean I am a rising retiree?
“Well,’’ I ventured, “I might say the kid is between grades.’’
They didn’t appear to be satisfied by this, or even sanguine.
Meanwhile, I am wondering if it is a good idea to teach Ike how to build a fire and a shelter. He is pretty responsible, but little brothers Mike and Spike? Not so much.
This would be the one that police have been watching since 2009 and whose ownership has since been linked to an international marijuana ring.
If I were the pizza shop owner, I would rely on the “rising dough’’ defense.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Survey shows gas prices fall to lowest since May 2009 - 0
- Pipeline protest in Fitzwilliam - 0
- Poll shows Groton voters oppose new wind plants - 2
- Opposition lines up against new Alexandria wind plant proposal - 1
- PSNH's rate request puts it lower than competitors, a reversal from last year - 6
- Pipeline meeting in Mason draws big crowd - 0
- Kinder Morgan reveals route for pipeline at Milford meeting - 1
- Nature vs. man: Keeping the lights on - 1
- Pipeline pushback seen in NH - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pinkerton community excited about relationship with Google - 0
- OKC outguns Bonner, Spurs - 0
- Schaller sent back to minors - 0
- Mount Sunapee plan opponents want more hearings - 0
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Circut Court Judge refuses to recuse himself from hearings - 0
- Pipeline push gets a second wind - 0
- Newbies welcome on NH slopes - 0
- Troy welfare officer indicted for misusing town’s money - 0
Murder suspect fit for trial?
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Pipeline push gets a second wind