Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: The grandson also rises
This sounds to me suspiciously like Common Core. I think he should reach higher.
What I didn’t know, until it started popping up all over our newspaper last week, was what the heck “rising’’ meant.
Within two days, I read of a “rising 8th grader’’ in Bedford, a “rising’’ senior at Goffstown High, and a “rising junior at Boston College.
The Lady of the Little House knew its meaning; and a couple of the newsroom editors looked at me as if I were sporting two heads when I asked about it. Funny thing, but more and more they look at me in that way. Does this mean I am a rising retiree?
“Well,’’ I ventured, “I might say the kid is between grades.’’
They didn’t appear to be satisfied by this, or even sanguine.
Meanwhile, I am wondering if it is a good idea to teach Ike how to build a fire and a shelter. He is pretty responsible, but little brothers Mike and Spike? Not so much.
This would be the one that police have been watching since 2009 and whose ownership has since been linked to an international marijuana ring.
If I were the pizza shop owner, I would rely on the “rising dough’’ defense.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Publisher's Notebook: Cigars, memories and bending phones - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Not every human gets elected, but that chicken certainly pecked away at the legal system - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: Voting is your stamp on the future - 2
- New faces, proven veterans will assure Union Leader's solid hold on the news - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A tough hike to see AMC 'croo,' but finding 'Quos' made the day - 0
- Publisher's Notebook: The candidate who can spell the name of every 80's sports car wins - 4
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say man stole lottery tickets from Manchester store - 0
- KSC graduate in town says he aided a wounded party-goer - 0
- 48 set to be cleared after Ebola monitoring - 0
- Weare shakes its head at police department saga - 0
- Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault - 1
- Londonderry man killed in I-495 off-ramp crash identified - 0
- Report: Sox may trade Cespedes - 0
- Pearson, Toffoli score in Los Angeles' win - 0
- Monarchs, UNH brace for home openers - 0
Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future
Monitoring social media
Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy
After riots, soul-searching begins