The best parts of this NH summer
I’m feeling sluggish and summery and delightfully lazy, so this month’s column will be in list form, dedicated to the best parts of a New Hampshire summer.
The best parts of a New Hampshire summer are …
• Summer movie nights on Mondays at Prescott Park in Portsmouth. I watched “The Incredibles” last week and was reminded how great it is to sit outside for entertainment while smelling the salt air.
• The Seacoast’s Coast bus service. After transporting my daughter and her friends to a basketball camp several days in a row, it seemed a good idea to teach them some independence in the form of using public transportation. What’s not to love about an air conditioned bus ride? Good for the environment, even better for a New Hampshire mother tired of providing taxi service. I love you, Coast.
• Flip flops and no socks since May. Toes are blissfully happy after a winter of wool envelopment.
• Annie O’Donnell of Somersworth. Annie is a student at Saint Thomas Aquinas High School in Dover who is being celebrated for her service to community — service she even performs during these lazy days of summer. Her home city declared a day in her honor in May.
• Outdoor weddings on pristine summer evenings.
• Library programs geared to great summer reading.
• Knitting for Christmas in Dover’s lovely air conditioned yarn shop, Spinning Yarns, while chatting and laughing with Margo, the most wonderful proprietress.
• Deciding whether to swim in the ocean, the lake or the pool. Such lovely choices.
Finally, the best part of a New Hampshire summer? Coming out of a blistering cold winter so as to enjoy the heat, the sun, the out of doors so much more.
Summer in New Hampshire? Fabulous.
Susan Dromey Heeter’s “Down to Earth” runs the third Tuesday of the month, unless her editor is daydreaming about summer vacations and misses a week. Her other column, “Budget Vogue,” runs the first week of the month in the New Hampshire Sunday News. Contact her at email@example.com.
American Life in Poetry: 'The Kiss'
Win tickets to see Black Label Society