Derry councilors discuss putting limits on skyline
Town councilors are discussing the ramifications of setting a height limitation.
The maximum height of buildings used to be 60 feet, which is as far as fire truck ladders could extend, according to councilors. But the restriction has changed with the addition of sprinkling systems and other safety advances in buildings.
Fairbanks said it would be possible, if a developer with enough financial resources could be found to complete the project. But even if a developer were found, the Planning Board would still have to approve the site plan before the work could proceed, he said.
Councilor Al Dimmock added, “I mean we want to promote Derry, but we don’t want the Empire State Building being built there, either.”
“I want to keep the existing character,” Bourdon said.
Osborne asked hypothetically if there was a building project that would exceed 100 feet, but have the potential to bring economic development to Derry.
Councilor Phyllis Katsakiores also said she didn’t like the idea of setting a height restriction.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 26
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 35
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
- Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week - 21
- Asking about marriage: The Census should keep doing it - 3
- All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so - 14
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU women win - 0
- Merrimack's Schaller scores first NHL goal, but B's get win - 0
- For Rex Ryan, another close loss to Pats - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings