Home » News » Public Safety
37 hikers rescued from Mt. Major over weekend
Movva Rao Nageswara, 48, of Switzerland and his daughter, Raasida Gaugier, 19, of Medford, Mass., began their hike at 4:15 p.m.
However, according to state Fish and Game officials, that was actually an old boundary line and the two eventually became lost and called 911.
Meanwhile, about 8:30 p.m., 911 dispatch received a second call about lost hikers.
They reached the summit and took some time to enjoy the views and pick blueberries.
When they started their descent, however, they took the wrong trail – one leading away from the trailhead.
The searches were made difficult because of a lack of cell phone coverage and intermittent radio reception, according to Fish and Game officials, who eventually were called in to assist.
Priority was given to the larger group, which was located just after 1:30 a.m. the next morning by an Alton firefighter.
The group was in high spirits, gathered around a fire singing songs.
The group was then transported back to the trailhead, where they were returned to their vehicles.
Fish and Game officials said both incidents could have been avoided with good planning and preparation.
Hikes often take longer than anticipated and weather is unpredictable. Having appropriate gear aids in safety, they advise.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads