Home » News » Public Safety
Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire
A Manchester firefighter hands a kitten to Nastja Rebrin, whose 303 Jewett St. apartment was likely struck by lightning Wednesday night. (TIM BUCKLAND/Union Leader)
But minutes later, she was running out in the pouring rain wearing a white tank top, shorts and clutching her dog, her 303 Jewett St. apartment filling with smoke after being struck by lightning shortly before 9:30 p.m.
She cried with delight about 10 minutes later, when a firefighter handed her a screaming kitten; firefighters on the scene said they were confident the other cat was alive and would be found.
“It seems like the most likely scenario,” he said.
Fire Chief James Burkush said fire crews encountered “multiple areas of fire” on the two-story apartment building’s second floor. The fire was under control before 10 p.m., he said.
He said he was at school at the time of the lightning strike, and came home to find several fire trucks outside his apartment and crews spraying water into his home.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
- Concrete chunk falls onto sidewalk from Elm Street building in Manchester - 0
- Traffic, parking complaints related to Hollis farm stand - 0
- Crews still working on replacing poles after accident - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 0
- Marchand scores 2, B's win - 0
- Ex-Nashua deputy police chief sues city and outgoing police chief - 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 16
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
- Rocket blast damps Orbital as commercial space rush lures rivals - 0
- GT Advanced, Apple try to keep lid on COO's comments - 0
- Former Farmington fire chief waives arraignment on theft charges - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters