Sudanese woman who refused to renounce her Christian faith on way to NH
Ibrahim flew to Italy on Thursday, where she met Pope Francis along with her husband, Daniel Wani, and two children. She was sentenced to death by hanging by a Sudanese court on a charge of apostasy, or abandoning the Muslim faith and refusing to renounce her Christian faith, in May, while she was eight months pregnant. She was also sentenced to 100 lashes on a charge of adultery for marrying Wani, a Christian.
“I’ve always had my faith — and my love for my husband, a gift from God,” Ibrahim told La Repubblica, an Italian newspaper. “When I was asked to renounce my Christian faith, I knew what I was risking (in refusing to do so). But I didn’t want to renounce it.”
In June, a Sudanese high court overturned her conviction, but the family was left in limbo in Khartoum when, just as they were about to board a plane, Sudanese government officials detained them on accusations they had forged documents.
The family was able to seek refuge in the U.S. embassy in Khartoum before they were allowed to leave.
Gabriel Wani said he is happy that the long ordeal, which involved several sleepless nights for him, appears to be over. He said he wanted to thank Shaheen and Ayotte for their assistance.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's Holy Family Academy named School of Excellence - 0
- Weare teen to compete in Bible bee - 0
- More churches reporting scam - 0
- Bishop of Rochester, N.Y., will be homilist for annual Red Mass - 0
- Religion Briefs: Divorce and separation support group meets in Goffstown - 0
- Annual dedication of Starr Memorial Garden scheduled - 0
- Bethany Covenant Church in Bedford celebrates 125 years, looks toward future - 0
- Season of Epsom Bible Church AWANA Clubs to begin - 0
- St. Michael's church in Exeter to offer financial course - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sox down Orioles in 10 as Ortiz hits a pair - 0
- Portsmouth stuns Memorial - 0
- High School Sports Round-up - 0
- Milford stuffs Souhegan on final play - 0
- Efficient Bedford beats Winnacunnet - 0
- Ex-Connecticut governor guilty of violating federal campaign laws - 0
- GOP attempts to tie Shaheen to old criminal case - 2
- Salem man presented with Polish award - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge was local woman - 0
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it
Goodell vows domestic violence change