Home » Opinion » Editorials
Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense
Asked about term limits, Brendan Kelly told WGIR's Jack Heath why he favored them.
Wiser words are rarely spoken, especially from incumbents who like to pontificate about the voter being the best determiner of term limits. "The voter can always toss us out, blah, blah, blah."
The truth is that despite the occasional upset, the reelection rate in Congress remains well above 90 percent.
The overwhelming powers of incumbency keep it that high. Once in office, the incumbent becomes better and better known and can use the office to his or her advantage (even if it is not really helping the constituents).
Think of the "news" generated by incumbents through press releases and TV and radio sound bites that often contain nothing more than the congressman's name, over and over.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Boutin for Senate: Constituent service for District 16 - 3
- Sanborn for Senate: The obvious choice in District 9 - 2
- Secret arrests: Names contradict ICE narrative - 4
- Little for Senate: A voice for the Upper Valley - 1
- Edwards for Senate: A driven leader for Dist. 4 - 0
- Quieting Keene: Fight for your right to party - 3
- Teacher pay: Treat them like professionals - 21
- School emergencies: A tale of two superintendents - 1
- Tradition wins: The boring lives of rock stars - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say man stole lottery tickets from Manchester store - 0
- KSC graduate in town says he aided a wounded party-goer - 0
- 48 set to be cleared after Ebola monitoring - 0
- Weare shakes its head at police department saga - 0
- Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault - 1
- Londonderry man killed in I-495 off-ramp crash identified - 0
- Report: Sox may trade Cespedes - 0
- Pearson, Toffoli score in Los Angeles' win - 0
- Monarchs, UNH brace for home openers - 0
Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future
Monitoring social media
Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy
After riots, soul-searching begins