Home » Opinion » Editorials
Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense
Asked about term limits, Brendan Kelly told WGIR's Jack Heath why he favored them.
Wiser words are rarely spoken, especially from incumbents who like to pontificate about the voter being the best determiner of term limits. "The voter can always toss us out, blah, blah, blah."
The truth is that despite the occasional upset, the reelection rate in Congress remains well above 90 percent.
The overwhelming powers of incumbency keep it that high. Once in office, the incumbent becomes better and better known and can use the office to his or her advantage (even if it is not really helping the constituents).
Think of the "news" generated by incumbents through press releases and TV and radio sound bites that often contain nothing more than the congressman's name, over and over.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Help sought to place cemetery wreaths - 0
- Mason man pens book on veterans - 0
- Non-profit receives grant to get veterans on the move - 0
- Housing vouchers are available for veterans - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize veteran - 0
- Students, veterans will be recognized for making state tree decorations - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Sweeney Post events - 0
- Commentary- Mary Tamposi: Let's bring an end to homelessness among veterans - 0
- Veterans help build Nashua Habitat home - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK? - 0
- Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week - 0
- Asking about marriage: The Census should keep doing it - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Boys' Basketball Preview: Memorial, Central look to be in the mix again - 0
- Innovations abound at UNH event - 0
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Monarchs head to Portland Wednesday - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Pembroke girls rally to win - 0
Bush 41, 43 and ... 45?
Another View -- Ross Gittell and Jeremy Hitchcock: By focusing on student success, NH community colleges prove their value
Another View -- David Scannell: A justified federal civil rights action in Manchester's schools
All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so
Taxi fail: City regulations don't work
Rival NH Republican caucus seeks own voice
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK?
Police arrest pair after bullets fly