Home » Opinion » Editorials
Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense
Asked about term limits, Brendan Kelly told WGIR's Jack Heath why he favored them.
Wiser words are rarely spoken, especially from incumbents who like to pontificate about the voter being the best determiner of term limits. "The voter can always toss us out, blah, blah, blah."
The truth is that despite the occasional upset, the reelection rate in Congress remains well above 90 percent.
The overwhelming powers of incumbency keep it that high. Once in office, the incumbent becomes better and better known and can use the office to his or her advantage (even if it is not really helping the constituents).
Think of the "news" generated by incumbents through press releases and TV and radio sound bites that often contain nothing more than the congressman's name, over and over.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 28
- The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw - 29
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 4
- Leo Bernier: For Hillsborough County Commission - 0
- Insurance exchanges Sam's Club or Obama's club? - 11
- Garcia and Guinta: For a change, send them to DC - 22
- Jeanne's travel ban: She doesn't want Obama here - 14
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ex-Nashua deputy police chief sues city and outgoing police chief - 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 16
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
- Rocket blast damps Orbital as commercial space rush lures rivals - 0
- GT Advanced, Apple try to keep lid on COO's comments - 0
- Former Farmington fire chief waives arraignment on theft charges - 0
- $50k bail for two charged with beating pizza delivery man - 0
- Latest round of riot arrests includes 5 Keene State students - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters