Home » News » Public Safety
Tubers lose contact with group, spend night in wooded area
Matthew Ellis, 26, of Rochester, and Dylan Meyers, 21, of Farmington, were part of a group of eight who left southern NH intending to float a section of the Saco River in Conway on inner tubes.
They put in at Bear Notch Road at 3 p.m. after leaving a vehicle about five miles downstream below Lower Falls. Low water levels and rocky conditions slowed the group’s progress.
The main party traveled about two miles and at 7 p.m. left the river and walked the remaining distance to their vehicle.
Fish and Game conservation officers responded. Shortly after daybreak, the two men made their way out of the woods and were found to be in good condition.
Both Rocky Gorge and Lower Falls, which is currently closed, are in the section of the river the group intended to travel. At high water levels, Fish and Game noted, multiple drowning incidents have occurred on that stretch of river.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Alderman, chief have heated exchange over police residency requirements - 9
- Winter heating season means homeowners need to be alert - 0
- Teen driver hospitalized following accident in Rindge - 0
- Neighbor won't be charged in shooting death of Rumney chiropractor - 12
- Despite contract provisions, most Manchester police officers live outside city - 24
- Londonderry response team celebrates 10th anniversary - 0
- Police say to expect more arrests in wake of Keene chaos - 6
- Keene police working to identify rioters, notify other colleges of students' participation - 8
- Bedford woman injured when tree falls on her - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 1
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 2
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 0
- Preventing riots: What should Keene do? - 0
- Manchester mayor asks aldermen to hold abandonded property owners accountable - 0
- Residents given Londonderry playing field priority - 0
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Meat cleaver has key role in threats, assault case - 0
- Mass. man charged with robbing Tobacco Junction store in Pelham - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?