Helping of gratitude fills day in Holderness
More than 60 military service veterans turned out to enjoy hotdogs and hamburgers and ice cream, but it was the heaping helpings of gratitude that filled the day.
“The sponsored Thank A Vet BBQ gives pause to recognize our veterans, our heroes of freedom and liberty. For a few hours we gather as civilians, fellow veterans, military families and those who support the cause of freedom, to pay tribute to the sacrifice given for this country to remain free,” Wilkins said.
CVA members distributed literature about the organization, signed up new members who received a T-shirt with the organization’s logo. Guests included state Sen. Jeanie Forrester, R-Meredith; Gold Star Mother of U.S. Navy Seal Daniel Healy, Natalie Healy of Exeter; and CVA member Amber Barno who serves as military adviser to CVA and a veteran who served in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The national crisis over the long waits for care at U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) hospitals was on many minds.
James McConnell, president of the Vietnam Veterans of America, Inc., New Hampshire State Council, and field director for the Smith for U.S. Senate campaign, agreed with that sentiment.
Some veterans attending arrived on motorcycle at the picturesque Fish and Game Club, taking in a nice ride through the Lakes Region.
He sat with fellow riders Zeany Morrison and Paul Mason who belong to the Nam Knights of America Motorcycle Club, which is made up of former military law enforcement veterans.
Outside, Pemigewasset Fish and Game Club member and Director Skip Maloney donned his apron and manned the grill.
“I have a blast doing this,” said Maloney, an Army veteran.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- A faithful restoration of a Manchester cathedral - 4
- Calender of religious events in the state - 0
- South African chorus at Portsmouth church - 0
- Collection this weekend to help religious communities address a retirement shortfall - 0
- Interfaith Women of NH at Temple Adath Yeshurun - 0
- Candlelight Advent concert Tuesday night at Saint Raphael Church in Manchester - 0
- Keene churches increase winter breakfasts this year - 0
- Pope to visit U.S. next year - 0
- St. Margaret of Scotland in Conway to celebrate the Kirkin' of the Tartan - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads