All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 2 views left. | Register | Sign In

Some charges against former Nashua coach dismissed

NASHUA — Although a former sports coach still faces dozens of sexual assault charges against a minor, more than a handful of charges have been dismissed by a local judge.

W. Michael Keegan, 62, formerly of Nashua, will face trial in January on 36 counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault. However, a Hillsborough County Superior Court judge has dismissed seven charges — six aggravated felonious sexual assault charges and one felonious sexual assault charge — in connection with the case.

Keegan, who coached local sports teams in the 1980s, is accused of repeatedly assaulting a boy in Nashua from January 1986 to December 1988.

The victim was between the ages of 9 and 12 when he was allegedly assaulted, according to court documents. The victim, now 37, told local authorities about the assaults in February, court records state.

Last week, Judge Charles Temple dismissed seven charges against Keegan.

“An indictment not having been returned against the defendant within 90 days of the date the complaints were bound over to this court, the bound over complaints (are) hereby dismissed without prejudice,” Temple’s ruling states.

Keegan has pleaded not guilty to the remaining charges and jury selection is tentatively scheduled for Jan. 20, 2015.

In the meantime, Keegan is being held on $100,000 cash only bail. He has been ordered to have no contact with the victim, the victim’s wife or their children. In addition, Keegan has been ordered to have no contact with his own wife, Brenda Keegan, as divorce or separation matters are being facilitated, according to court documents.

The alleged sexual assaults took place in a vehicle, in a bedroom and occasionally during hunting trips in the woods over a three-year time span, according to a police affidavit filed by Nashua police Officer Mike Welch.

The victim estimated that he was assaulted an average of three times per month.

Police have said Keegan served as an assistant volunteer coach for a Little League baseball team in the city and a recreational basketball league for pre-teens between 1983 and 1989.

He also volunteered for a local Cub Scouts group, according to authorities.

The charges that were dismissed included four alleged assaults in 1982 when the victim would have been 6 years old, two incidents in 1986 and one in 1989, according to court documents.


Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Crime

NH Angle - Crime